How to Feel Young Again in Old Age
As you age, it’s not uncommon to struggle with the wear and tear that starts to show on your body. Fine lines? Wrinkles? For some, they’re a badge of honor; for others, a source of frustration. Do you often find yourself wondering, “How do I make myself feel young again?” or “How can I feel younger at 70?” If so, you’re not alone. Read on for tips on how to look and feel younger at any age.
Three Tips for Looking Younger at Any Age
Some people in this world are genetically blessed – you know the type. They wonder to themselves, “Why am I looking younger as I get older?” If that’s you, consider yourself lucky! For most individuals, though, the fine lines and wrinkles that come with age spur them to wonder how to look younger naturally, without going under the knife. Luckily, research indicates there are three easy ways to look younger at any age:
- SMILE! One study found that individuals who smile more tend to be categorized as younger looking as compared to individuals with neutral expressions or those who are frowning. Not only can smiling make you appear younger to others around you, but it can also put you in a better mood!
- Protect your skin. Your skin is one of the first things to show your age, so it’s important to keep it healthy by wearing sunscreen. Avoid those sunspots and wrinkles by wearing sunscreen on a regular basis, not just when you’re in a tropical climate. One Australian study indicated that daily sunscreen users had skin that was “24% younger” when compared to individuals who wore sunscreen sporadically or only as needed in warm climates.
- Exercise. Keeping your body in good condition is important not only for your health and well-being, but also for helping you look younger. Avoid sagging skin due to muscle loss, or health-related issues due to obesity, by participating in a regular exercise routine. Tightening and firming your muscles will help with the appearance of aging skin, while the increased circulation brought on by exercise can offer you a healthier, glowing complexion.
Three Tips for Feeling Younger at Any Age
So now you know how to look younger at any age, but what about how to feel younger and have more energy? Here are three additional tips to improve your energy levels:
- Eat revitalizing food to avoid diet-related diseases. Increasing your intake of antioxidants and vitamins, such as those found in fruits and vegetables, will provide you with a much-needed energy boost, leaving you feeling refreshed and energized. A healthy diet will also help you avoid diet-related diseases, like diabetes or cardiovascular disease, which can sap your energy levels. Don’t worry – you can still splurge with a tasty dessert here and there! Just try to keep the unhealthy foods to a minimum of 10% or less of your daily caloric intake. Not much of a chef yourself? That’s OK – senior living communities, like Country Gardens, often provide delicious dining options to help keep you on track.
- Break out of ruts. After a while, your brain starts to associate daily routines with monotony, and that can have an impact on your energy levels. If that’s the case for you, try something new to stimulate your mind with new associations. Research indicates that engaging the mind effectively requires participating in activities or routines that are “challenging or novel – anything that demands that your brain work in a way it’s not used to.” Not sure where to start with a new routine? Check out the activities we offer at Country Gardens Assisted Living – our community has a variety of options to keep you on your toes!
- Exercise. Thought exercise was only helpful for looking younger? Think again! While you might think of exercise as something that saps your energy while you work out, studies show that engaging in regular exercise can actually lead to increased energy in the long run. At our assisted living community in Muskogee, OK, we offer numerous fitness classes and programs for individuals of any experience level to help keep you in tip-top shape.
Feel Young Again at Country Gardens
At Country Gardens Assisted Living Community, we understand the importance of leading a stimulating and fulfilling lifestyle. We help our residents maintain their energy levels with nutritious and delicious meals prepared by in-house chefs, as well as fitness programs led by trained instructors and a variety of activities designed for any interest.
Our person-first care offers the support and encouragement you need while allowing you to maintain the independence you deserve – and pets are welcome here, too!
Drop by for a visit or call us at 918-686-8100 to receive a personal consultation. We look forward to answering any questions you have about our assisted living community in Muskogee, Oklahoma.